Options are any choices that you want to give customers for a product OR any information that you need with their order (apart from the delivery information already collected at checkout).
NOTE: gift message are NOT collected at checkout as we want to give sellers full flexibility as to what they offer in terms of gift messaging. If you offer customers a gift message then you must add that as an option on your listings.
Common options you may create for your product listings are:
- A gift message
- A choice of sizes
- A choice of flavours
- A choice of packaging option e.g. a gift box
- Asking the customer to provide the personalised text they want
- An option to upload an image (e.g. for personalisation or branding)
Options can also:
- have additional cost applied if a customer chooses certain variants. (E.g if they choose to upgrade to a larger size variant you can charge an additional £X)
- be shown in different combinations depending on previous selections (see the Forbidden Combinations section below).
When creating your product listing you will find a dedicated Options tab within the listing form where you can set-up these choices.
Adding an option
- Click within a product listing in the Seller Portal
- Go to the options tab
- Click on "add an option" and decide whether to add an existing global option (see the next section) or create a new option.
If you are creating a new option:
- Give the name of the option as a clear instruction for the customer e.g. Choose box size.
- If you have multiple options for a listing it's good practice to order them logically by appropriately numbering the "position" field for each option.
- Choose what field Type of option you want to create e.g. a select box provides a list to choose from, the text area type should be chosen for collecting text from customers such as for a gift message or personalisation text
- Specify the choices for the option on the Variants tab within each option.
- The Modifier field next to each variant enables you to specify any price change if that variant is selected, if relevant. For example if you specify £2.00 for a particular variant then £2.00 will be added on top of the listing price if a customer selects that variant.
Top tip: options can be complicated for customers so make sure they are really easy to follow. Always click on Preview to check your listing as a customer before you finish.
Common ("Global") options
Global options are pre-built options available to add to multiple listings. These are ideal to save time on creating the same options repeatedly within listings.
There are some standard global options available to all sellers by default such as "Add a gift message".
You can also create your own global options - ideal for options that you want to offer within several of your product listings.
How to create & use global options:
1. Contact Yumbles Seller Support with a request to create a global option for you.
2. Once created you will find your global option now available to select within each of your listings in the Options section where it has the action to "Add an option". In the example below the global option available to select is "Choose sauerkraut flavour"
3. When you select a global option a screen will pop-up giving you two different ways you can insert the global option into your listing:
4. If you select to "apply as a link" it will mean any changes made to the global option in the future will automatically apply to that listing. This can be helpful to avoid having to update each listing if something about that option changes regularly (for example if the option if your available list of flavours). However, if you want to tweak some aspects of the option such as the name (e.g. Choose sauerkraut flavour 1, Choose sauerkraut flavour 2 etc) or the ordering of the option variants, then you will want to use the default "insert option in to the listing".
How to update global options:
Once Yumbles have create a global option for you, you may need from time to time to update it (e.g. to change the list of flavours). To do this:
1. Go to the Options page you will find under the Products menu:
2. Click on the option to edit it.
3. Save changes.
If you had previously inserted this global option as a link (see Step 4 in the previous section) in any listings then that option in those listins will update automatically with any changes you have made.
For more complex products you may have several options for customers to choose from but not want to allow all possible combinations. Or some options may be irrelevant depending on what they have chosen in other options so you want to hide them (e.g. don't show them a personalised text option if they haven't chosen to upgrade to personalisation in a previous option).
The options page within your product listing contains a Forbidden Combinations section where you can specify such rules.
For example: you sell a bespoke cake box that comes in two sizes - large and small. The customers can choose 6 cakes for the large box, and 4 cakes for the small box. You would create 5 options, "Select box size", "Cake 1", "Cake 2" ...."Cake 6". To then forbid and hide the selection of cakes 5 and 6 if the small cake box is chosen, you need to create one forbidden combination. The forbidden combination would specify for the option "Select box size" = Small, mark "Any variant" for "Cake 1" etc and then for "Cake 5" and "Cake 6" select "No variant can be selected".